- Why is this thing so buggy?
Answer: BetterTouchTool is just a fun project. I’m student and I have not that much programming experience. But I’ll try to make BTT a great tool.
- Ctrl/Opt(Alt)/Cmd/ + middleclick doesn’t work, what can I do?
Answer: You have to add the gesture, select middleclick as predefined action AND select the appropriate modifier key in BTT.
- How can I control FrontRow with this?
Answer: You have to add /System/Library/CoreServices/FrontRow.app instead of the one in your application folder
- I deleted Finder from the list, can I add it back?
Answer: Yes it’s located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app
- Five Finger Swipes are not working, what can I do?
Answer: Disable the original apple 4 finger swipes in your System Preferences
- If I use the action “Hide all Windows” the BTT Icon appears in dock, what can I do?
Answer: unfortunately that is expected behavior and needs to happen in order to hide all windows.
- 4 Finger swipes often trigger 3 finger taps/swipes, what can I do?
Answer: Do you have the original apple 4 finger swipes activated in your System Preferences? If so you should disable them and set custom 4 finger swipes with BTT. I can’t do false positive recognition if you use the original 4 finger swipes.
- Four Finger Swipes on Touchpad behave strange, whats this?
Answer: Have you deactivated the apple standard four finger swipes in your System Preferences? If not do so. (but leave 3 finger swipes activated)
- Will there be a Leopard compatible version of BetterTouchTool?
Answer: unfortunately no. I have to use some stuff that was introduced with Snow Leopard additionally I don’t want to install Leopard for testing
- Is my non multitouch macbook touchpad supported?
Answer: No! The option for setting the macbook type is just needed in case you wanna use a magic mouse
- Why are the zoom in / out actions gone?
Answer: They didn’t work on every system. Just set the shortcuts manually (cmd + and – usually)
- My Pinch In / Out does not work on the magic mouse, what can I do?
Answer: go to the BTT Preferences (Tab mouse) and play a bit with the zooming settings. Try deactivating the false positive improvements etc.
- Oh noes, I checked the option for hiding the menubar Icon and now the menubar icon is not visible anymore! How can I access the preferences now?
Answer: hit CTRL+ALT+CMD+O
- My 2 finger swipes on the magic mouse or my 3 finger swipes on the touchpad do not work. What can I do?
Answer: You have to activate those swipes in your System Preferences in order to customize them via BTT.
- Why do some gestures work with all modifier keys (fn/ctrl/alt/cmd) and some don’t?
This is because of the way BetterTouchTool creates some of the actions. E.g. if you set cmd+swipe up to the action “brightness up” BTT sends the brightness up keyboard command to the system. But at the same time you are holding cmd. Instead of increasing the brightness a System Preferences window will open. Try hitting cmd+brightness up on your keyboard. The same thing will happen. Got it?
Some other actions like expose are not triggered via a keyboard command so they are not affected by the modifier keys currently pressed.
- Help, my gestures are not working! What can I do?
Answer: First try the reset button in the BetterTouchTool Preferences. If this doesn’t help post a comment in one of the current Blogposts or write an email to bettertouchtool [at] boastr.net
- Is it possible to add a real middleclick? I’m using CAD software and need it!
Answer: you may try activating the real middleclick in the BetterTouchTool Mouse preferences in the tab “Clicks”
- Is it possible to deactivate one finger scrolling for magic mouse?
YES, but only globally atm. You can do that in the BTT Mouse Preferences in the general tab.
- How do I set shortcuts if they are already used by other programs (like cmd+shift+4 for Screenshot)?
Answer: You have to disable the global shortcuts first. Go to your System Preferences, there select Keyboard and switch to the tab Keyboard shortcut. After you have set the wanted shortcut in BTT you can activate it again in your System Preferences.
- Is it possible to enable tap2click with BetterTouchTool?
Answer: Yes. Just add the gestures “Single finger tap left” and “Single finger tap right” and assign predefined actions leftclick and rightclick.
- If I have set swipe down for expose, will a swipe up dismiss expose again?
Answer: YES BUT only if you have set a custom predefined action for swipe up too. The same for left/right swipes.
- I found a bug! Where can I report it?
Answer: just post it in the comments of a current blogpost or write an email to bettertouchtool [at] boastr.net